Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Newbie introduction.
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:03 pm 
Non Member

Bhp: 0
lbf·ft: 0
BalisticZeus wrote:
Thats not a problem mate, I am in the same place. I am selling to finance a 370z.

Post your questions in here and we will be able to answer them.

I have already asked what was on my mind in this and another thread I think it was in the non Mazda thread, no doubt there will be more as I think about it. I'll try and find the post again so that I can copy and paste it in here, it'll make things easier if I stick to the one thread.

This is the post I made in the non MPS thread :-

I am currently running a 2009 Mercedes E350CDi Coupé Sport. It's a nice car, comfortable, reasonably quick (231BHP, 0-60 6.7 secs) in a straight line. However it handles like a "pun 'o' mince" as they say in the venacular here abouts. :icon_e_biggrin:
I'm coming up for retirement age, despite which, I still drive like I stole it, :o_icon_eek: and always have. I bought the Merc to tick a box and now that I've had it two years, I want to go back to a "Hot Hatch".
The Mazda 3 MPS appeals to me because if I buy one, I will actually be increasing BHP and decreasing wheelbase so the handling should improve exponentially over the Merc, not difficult I know. :icon_rolleyes:
My intention was to buy the newest 3 MPS that I could find, however I have heard that the MPS can be a bit lairy in the wet and under hard acceleration are prone to torque steer. I also can't make up my mind between a MK1 or 2 as I have seen a couple of very low milage MK1's at a good price.
Another issue that I have, is fear related, as in, fear of making the wrong choice, this is again handling related. A couple of cars ago I had a Swift Sport ZC32 model, fantastic handling wet or dry but, in the snow.... what a p.o.s. unpredictable, nervous and that was with winter tyres on the car too. I don't want to make that mistake again. So, the more questions I get answered by the guys who've run them for a few years the better.
Discuss or, just give me your opinion please.
Thanks, Jimbo.

I hope that this helps BalisticZeus.

Post subject: Re: Newbie introduction.
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:05 am 
MPSOC Member

Vehicle: MPS3 mkI aero
Bhp: 400
lbf·ft: 0
Colour: Black Mica
JIMBO2511 wrote:
jaykaddz wrote:
Welcome to the forum.

You can ask questions here and majority are happy to help.

I have owned a mk2 previously (59) and now own a mk1.

Depending on what you want to know it can easily be answered..

What information are you looking for?
Reliability, running costs, insurance estimates etc etc..

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

To be honest with a Japanese car with Mazda's reputation for reliability, I don't really expect any problems per se, I think it's more a question of preventative maintenance, what and how in particular, that is, if there is anything at all that I should pay attention to?

Running costs would be handy to know, although, the car will be more of a weekend toy, as I have a company vehicle at the moment. Still it's good to know what you're getting into.

From experience I know that with a turbo powered car, correct warming up and cooling down procedures are a sensible problem preventative course to take, however most cars have their own little quirks and, that's what I want to find out about, the things I should be looking out for.

Being an old git :icon_e_biggrin: (60+) insurance isn't too much of a worry but driving like a 21 year old, as I frequently do, can create it's own issues. For example I've never driven a MK2 MPS (the car I'm interested in) before, they have a bit of a rep. according to the Journo's, for torque steer, now I'll take that with a pinch of salt until I hear an owner giving me their long term experience of the car. I would like to know how it deals with country lanes and the general view of the handling in both standard suspension form and what, if any, upgrades are recommended for improvement.

I see from your reply that you had a MK2 and now have a MK1, was there a particular reason for doing that, getting the older model I mean? Or, was it just circumstance a lower milage better condition car came along for example?

I look forward to your replies Jay, take care, regards, Jimbo.

The main thing to look for depending on mileage would be a vvt timing chain replacement.
Then tyre brands (if cheap usually means it's been maintained cheaply also, unless theres a reason behind it.)

Next the generic service history and what products have been used if done by themselves or a garage (then maybe look into the garage, could be some dodgy backalley thing or a main stream franchise).

I have posted in your other thread also with some information there differentiating the mk1 and mk2.

My reason for leaving the mk2 was an employment issue with an previous employer who screwed me over, refused to pay me and I missed 2 x finance payments which meant I either part ex'd it or get it taken off me.

(It went to employment tribunal and I won, so selling the car wasnt actually needed in the end but oh well)

I traded the mk2 in against a 207 gti, cracking little car, amazing seats and exhaust note, but seriously unreliable.

So swapped that for the mk1 I have now and have owned for nearly 6 years I think.
So theres some reliability information for you in length of ownership and I have no intention of selling it either (mainly cause of modification costs I'd be seriously out of pocket and my son loves it also hes 6 and thinks hes going to inherit it, bless him).

Jay

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2