Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: CX7 - 2.3 turbo issues to look out for?
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:24 am 
Non Member

Bhp: 0
lbf·ft: 0
Hi all, apologies, I'm a bit of an impostor here, I'm not an MPS owner, but have joined in order to get some advice about another Mazda model. I'm considering getting a petrol CX7 in the next month or two, and I've heard some horror stories about the 2.3 turbo engine which the MPS and the CX7 share; apparently there have been multiple low mileage turbo failures here and in the US, due to carbonised oil blocking the turbo bearing oil feed pipes. Mazda aren't acknowledging it as a design flaw but instead blame it on not following the service schedule to the letter.

So, a quick Google found this forum, and I thought I would ask you good people about your knowledge of this issue - is it something that should put me off buying a petrol CX7, or are there sensible precautions I could take to make sure it won't happen on a car I buy?

Honest John advises replacing the oil feed and return pipes on the turbo; if I bought a low mileage example, did this and a couple of oil flushes with fully synthetic, followed by regular oil changes every 7500 miles; would this give me some confidence that my turbo wouldn't die a premature death?

If so, how big a job is it to replace the oil pipes on the turbo?

And, are there any other issues I should be aware of when inspecting a CX7?

Many thanks in advance

Adam

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: CX7 - 2.3 turbo issues to look out for?
 Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:38 pm 
Non Member

Vehicle: other
Bhp: 260
lbf·ft: 0
I've owned an early 2009 petrol CX-7 for about for years and it's run wonderfully the whole time, BUT I did encounter what seems to be a big problem with these cars, failure of the transfer box. It sounds almost like a wheel bearing's going, almost down behind the left front wheel, but when it goes it goes. I was down about £2k after getting that repaired by Mazda, although negotiated a 5% discount between Mazda HQ and the dealer.

That aside, if your transfer box doesn't fail you're going to have a whale of a time in a CX-7! For a big car it turns into corners really keenly, and the 2.3T engine goes like stink!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]