Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: New 2007 3 mps areo owner
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:08 pm 
Non Member

Vehicle: MPS3 mkI aero
Bhp: 270
lbf·ft: 319
Colour: Black Mica
Well hello everybody I've just bought my mps areo and absolutely loving it. Installed a Cobb Acessport with a stage 1 95 oct map and set up launch control just for fun. Apart from that she's in standard trim. Getting some new black wheel and windows tinted tomorrow (very excited).
This is my first turbo car and I still can't get over the power. It's addictive!

Couple of things bothering me number one is the headlights, dipped beam is almost unusable. I have read that the height can be adjusted. But not sure this will make them much better. Has anyone here tried this and how was the improvement?

Second problem is a click, click, click sound coming from the rear somewhere. Not much to go on I know but it get faster with speed of car so it's something to rotating. Any ideas?

There is also a heavy knock from the passenger side front but the garage is looking at that when they fit my wheels tomorrow.

Post subject: Re: New 2007 3 mps areo owner
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:05 am 
Senior

Vehicle: other
Bhp: 0
lbf·ft: 0
Hi and welcome. Could be a wheel bearing at the rear or sticking brakes and front could be drop links, cv joint or knackered spring. Also why are you running the 95ron map? You do know the MPS should only be run on 98 or higher, therefore you should be running the OTS map of 98ron

BMW i3 ReX: Evening & weekend town car

Renault Clio 182 FF: Track toy

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:37 am 
Non Member

The car has just been MOT'd last week with new disks and pads all round. Don't think any of the brakes are sticking.
It's in the garage now so will soon find out.

About the map, I am running on 98oct fuel but from what I understand using the 95oct map give an extra safety factor because I'm running the standard fuel pump just don't want to stress my new baby. HPFP will be my first mod then I will go with the 98oct stage 1 map.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:14 am 
MPSOC Member

welcome to the forum.

the headlights can be highered slightly so that the beam goes further out. there is a thread on it somewhere

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:31 am 
Senior

Welcome to the forum mate!

There's no point running a 95 ots map when your using 98 Ron fuel. The mk1 can run without hpfp internals @300 bhp so install the correct map which will be better for your car.

You do no that as the mps is a turbo you should ALWAYS let the engine oil heat up before giving it some beans? The same applies to letting the car idle before you turn it off!

The knocking noise from the front could be your ARB (anti roll bar) bushes. The 3 mps are quite bad for these making a knocking noise.

Was the clicking noise there before you had the brakes replaced?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:53 am 
Non Member

KGB wrote:
Welcome to the forum mate!

There's no point running a 95 ots map when your using 98 Ron fuel. The mk1 can run without hpfp internals @300 bhp so install the correct map which will be better for your car.

You do no that as the mps is a turbo you should ALWAYS let the engine oil heat up before giving it some beans? The same applies to letting the car idle before you turn it off!

The knocking noise from the front could be your ARB (anti roll bar) bushes. The 3 mps are quite bad for these making a knocking noise.

Was the clicking noise there before you had the brakes replaced?

Hi mate. Yeah I'm am fairly mechanical minded, you could say , so I no about heating and cooling. I only had a short test drive before it got all new brakes for the MOT so I'm not sure if it was clicking or not. As for the mapping I'm just going by the Cobb guide lines that strongly recommend upgrading the fuel pump the internals.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:01 pm 
Senior

You don't need fuel pump internals for the 98 map. The Cobb guidelines state that the stage 1 98 map is designed for cars that haven't had the FPI upgraded. Running the 95 is pointless if you're using 98 fuel.

FPI is only needed for stage 2 or higher.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:15 pm 
Non Member

EliotG wrote:
You don't need fuel pump internals for the 98 map. The Cobb guidelines state that the stage 1 98 map is designed for cars that haven't had the FPI upgraded. Running the 95 is pointless if you're using 98 fuel.

FPI is only needed for stage 2 or higher.

Yes mate I'm aware of that. But this is taken from Cobb's own map guide

"The MAZDASPEED3 / Mazda3 MPS / MAZDASPEED Axela ECU has implemented logic that will significantly increase fueling to the engine once the DI Fuel Pressure drops below ~1600psi. This logic is intelligent by design, but also puts excessive demands on the fueling system and further forces the DI Fuel Pressure to drop well below safe or effective levels. This new logic combined with an inadequate factory Camshaft Driven Fuel Pump (CDFP) results in the following.
 ALL Stage1 OTS Calibrations have been designed to run within the limits of the factory CDFP to remain safe. (Aside from the “+IC” maps). Even at this power level, some vehicle may exceed the capacity of the factory CDFP. It is highly recommended to run a "Safe Mode" calibration on the vehicle until a quality aftermarket CDFP can be installed."

Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:54 am 
Senior

To be honest your worrying about "safe mode" but when I put the stage 1 ots map on my car it ran dangerously lean and I couldn't even go into wide open throttle (WOT) until I had an e-tune by Justin. Up to you mate but every ots will run different on each car as they're generic. Do some logs and see for yourself.

Note: some of the members on here have real underpinning knowledge on the mps and will only ever give advise from experience, if they think it wasn't safe they would let you know.

BMW i3 ReX: Evening & weekend town car

Renault Clio 182 FF: Track toy

Post Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:58 pm 
Non Member

Can anyone tell me what kind of boost pressure they are seeing with there Cobb AP installed. The ots map I'm running targets 16.5 psi but the max I've seen is only 9.06psi. I don't understand as it doesn't feel like I'm only getting just over half boost.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:59 pm 
Senior

Vehicle: Toyota
Bhp: 230
lbf·ft: 181
Hi & :welcome: to the :mpsoc: :thumbs:

Photo's < Click > ****GreySilver Beast III****

Post Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:56 am 
Global Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:11 am 
RM BIK

Bhp: 430
lbf·ft: 395
Colour: Titanium Grey Metallic
Chris2c wrote:
Can anyone tell me what kind of boost pressure they are seeing with there Cobb AP installed. The ots map I'm running targets 16.5 psi but the max I've seen is only 9.06psi. I don't understand as it doesn't feel like I'm only getting just over half boost.

Sounds like a boost leak.
Take a log and upload it here and someone will take a look for you.

But you should still be running the stg1 98 map.

100% Meth / Fully forged / ACT 6 Puc & lightweight flywheel / monlar rods / wiseco pistons / arp studs / Versatune / corksport FMIC / Garrett GTX3076 / Brock Injector seals / Autotechs / Dreadnought & Juggernaut / GT RARB / Speedline front lower struts / Speedline lateral struts / corksport front braces / corksport rear upper braces / CS side braces /H&R springs / Bilstein B8's / CS BBK / Rear EBC Yellowstuff / JBR 5mm spacers / JBR OCC / Forge V2 / AWR 80a REM / 3" DP / Jetex / 3.25" Sure intake / Sure BSD / SURE TIG / Butterfly delete / EGR blockoff / Hel brake lines / Xcarlink / kendo SSP & Bushes / Step colder NGK 0.6mm gap / Fog and Driving light HID's / MKii alloys
Build thread http://tinyurl.com/otzp6qw
Helpful threads http://tinyurl.com/kjykgbd
http://www.ThroughTheLensMedia.co.uk
AVOID TOTAL MPS http://www.mpsowners.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=20073

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]