Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: New owner
 Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:42 am 
Non Member

Vehicle: MPS3 mkI
Bhp: 0
lbf·ft: 0
Colour: Sunlight Silver Metallic
Good morning all, I've been reading this forum quite a bit since the start of the year as well as the Facebook groups, and finally took the plunge a few days ago.

It was bought as a second car which will seldom be used day to day. More for some fun when I go out on my own than anything else.

It's a 56 plate 3 mps with ~38,000 miles on the clock, but considering the mileage (which is vosa verified), it does have an issue or two (mainly little cosmetic things) for me to sort out before I can really enjoy it.

The main thing is that it is very noisy once running.

It does have the vvt rattle on a cold start but it continues even when warm.

Am I right in thinking that this is more than likely down to the chain hitting the cam cover? Or could it be another underlying issue?!

I've checked the tension with it cold (crazy slack) and will recheck once warm.

If it is the vvt/chain, what could cause this to happen at such low mileage? Chocolate fireguard comes to mind!

I've not given it a service yet as it seems pointless if the chain needs doing. It's not going to be driven in the meantime as I can't stomach a full rebuild.

Whilst I'm saving for the vvt and all the other bits though, can I get some advice on what oil and plugs to buy please? Also, are the k&n panel filters better that the oe spec filters?

I usually buy from ECP for convenience but if there's somewhere else that would serve me better, that would be great.

Lastly, (and thankyou for bearing with me!) I have a question about exhausts.

Once the car is back on the road, I'll be wanting a bit more of a growl without it being overbearing on the motorway. I couldn't believe just how quiet it is!

What would be the usual first steps you'd advise? Does an aftermarket system offer much over the standard one? Or is it more sensible to remove the second cat first?

Thankyou so much in advance, I look forward to getting to know you all :mpsoc:

Post subject: Re: New owner
 Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:27 am 
RM BIK

Vehicle: other
Bhp: 430
lbf·ft: 395
Colour: Titanium Grey Metallic
danc84 wrote:
Good morning all, I've been reading this forum quite a bit since the start of the year as well as the Facebook groups, and finally took the plunge a few days ago.

It was bought as a second car which will seldom be used day to day. More for some fun when I go out on my own than anything else.

It's a 56 plate 3 mps with ~38,000 miles on the clock, but considering the mileage (which is vosa verified), it does have an issue or two (mainly little cosmetic things) for me to sort out before I can really enjoy it.

The main thing is that it is very noisy once running.
They all are, it's the fuel pump

It does have the vvt rattle on a cold start but it continues even when warm.

Am I right in thinking that this is more than likely down to the chain hitting the cam cover? Or could it be another underlying issue?!
Stretched chain, tensioner at it's limit, actuator hole elongated, could be either of them so a whole vvt kit is wise, about £400 plus £150 fitting

I've checked the tension with it cold (crazy slack) and will recheck once warm.
Slack doesn't mean much as where the cam is effects it, with piston 1/3 at TDC the chain should be tight

If it is the vvt/chain, what could cause this to happen at such low mileage? Chocolate fireguard comes to mind!
See above)

I've not given it a service yet as it seems pointless if the chain needs doing. It's not going to be driven in the meantime as I can't stomach a full rebuild.

Whilst I'm saving for the vvt and all the other bits though, can I get some advice on what oil and plugs to buy please? Also, are the k&n panel filters better that the oe spec filters?
Shell helix ultra 5w40 (Ignore the manual saying 5w30. The 40 prolongs turbo life. OEM plugs until you get deep into modifying

I usually buy from ECP for convenience but if there's somewhere else that would serve me better, that would be great.

Lastly, (and thankyou for bearing with me!) I have a question about exhausts.

Once the car is back on the road, I'll be wanting a bit more of a growl without it being overbearing on the motorway. I couldn't believe just how quiet it is!

What would be the usual first steps you'd advise? Does an aftermarket system offer much over the standard one? Or is it more sensible to remove the second cat first?
A cat back is the usual choice, or even downpipe back

Thankyou so much in advance, I look forward to getting to know you all :mpsoc:

100% Meth / Fully forged / ACT 6 Puc & lightweight flywheel / monlar rods / wiseco pistons / arp studs / Versatune / corksport FMIC / Garrett GTX3076 / Brock Injector seals / Autotechs / Dreadnought & Juggernaut / GT RARB / Speedline front lower struts / Speedline lateral struts / corksport front braces / corksport rear upper braces / CS side braces /H&R springs / Bilstein B8's / CS BBK / Rear EBC Yellowstuff / JBR 5mm spacers / JBR OCC / Forge V2 / AWR 80a REM / 3" DP / Jetex / 3.25" Sure intake / Sure BSD / SURE TIG / Butterfly delete / EGR blockoff / Hel brake lines / Xcarlink / kendo SSP & Bushes / Step colder NGK 0.6mm gap / Fog and Driving light HID's / MKii alloys
Build thread http://tinyurl.com/otzp6qw
Helpful threads http://tinyurl.com/kjykgbd
http://www.ThroughTheLensMedia.co.uk
AVOID TOTAL MPS http://www.mpsowners.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=20073

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:44 pm 
Non Member

Thanks for replying spam man.

I had another look under the bonnet this morning, and once the car has ran for a short time, the chain tightens right up. Seemed a lot quieter today too!

There is still a slight start up rattle though. Cause for concern do you think?

The oil is thick and black so I'm wondering if it could just be that?

Thankyou for the heads up about the oil. Is £66 a good price for 5l of oil (helix ultra), oil filter (Mann), and 4 bosch plugs (HR 7 NI 332 W)?

I'll do some reading on the exhaust, thankyou!

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:18 pm 
MPSOC Member

Vehicle: MPS3 mkI aero
Bhp: 256
lbf·ft: 280
Colour: True Red Solid
You'll need 6 litres of oil for oil/filter change (5.7 litres), and use these plugs http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAZDA-3-2-3-MPS ... Ciid%253A1 :thumbs:

Now Sold...Mk1 3 MPS Aero Facelift;-Corksport Stage 2 SRI+TIP//Forge BPV V2//Custom 2nd Cat & Resonator Delete//Cp-e REM 60a//SF Ssp//Kinugawa Banjo Bolt//Rear Tints//6k H-Lights//L.E.D.S//Shell Helix Ultra 5W 40//K&N Oil Filter//Goodyear Eagle f1 asymmetric 3's//

*Gone but not forgotten; moist silver mazda 6 mps*

**Winners only do what losers dont**

Post Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:15 pm 
Non Member

Cheers Richie, much appreciated.

I had the vvt checked this afternoon and it's been given the all clear.

Car had sat for quite a long time before I got it, so I can only assume it just needed running a bit. It's a lot quieter than it was when I first got it.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]