Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Mk2 MPS new owner
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:40 pm 
Non Member

Bhp: 0
lbf·ft: 0
Just purchase a 2010 Mazda 3 MPS, coming from a 2005 Subaru Legacy 3.0R Spec B it is definitely a different but much more fun car to drive and also quite a bit more refined whilst returning around 5mpg better, my only question is at the moment is a have a slight whine/whirring noise when on a cold start but it lasts no longer than 10 seconds and i can't seem to hear it any other time, im going to try record it tomorrow morning (only had it 3 days) it had a new turbo around 3 years ago which was less than 20k miles, i'm not ruling the turbo out but it doesn't make any other noises at other times apart from the right ones :)

Post subject: Re: Mk2 MPS new owner
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:20 pm 
Non Member

May have found the issue, noticed it looked a bit wet/oily around the boost pipe that goes from the intercooler to the throttle body and i noticed it didn't look like an oem clamp (just a regular jubilee clip) when i tried to tighten it, it wouldn't and was just spun so i have ordered a new better one to replace it and see if it fixes the slight whistle on a cold start.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:40 pm 
Global Moderator

Vehicle: MPS6
Bhp: 549
lbf·ft: 449
Colour: Titanium Grey Metallic
Keep us updated dude

Sent from my SM-J610FN using Tapatalk

2010 MPS3 Mk2 Forged / Sleeved Engine, CS Cams and Crower Valve Springs, BNR S4 Turbo, HTP 3.5" Intake, HPFP Internals, 2050psi Fuel Rail Relief Valve, JMF Intake Manifold, DNP Exhaust Manifold, Dual OCC Setup, Cobb Turbo Back Exhaust, Airtec FMIC, Port Methanol Injection ..... Tuning in progress with a goal of 480-500bhp :-)

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:21 pm 
Non Member

well, i didn't get to find the source of the whistling sound when starting from cold but i'm pretty sure its from an opening somewhere, either from where the turbo bolts to the manifold or where the downpipe mounts to the turbo, i got a few of the heat shield bolts out which were 8mm but then on there were smaller ones which a 7mm socket fit but slipped when trying to turn and 6mm was too small, the heads had either rusted to much or someone has mismatched the bolts and my bolt extractors only go down to 5/16 which is 7.9mm so won't fit and i wasn't in the right mood to try anything else but i did find that my bpv didn't have a seal as when i started the car and went to listen to were the whistling was coming from i felt air coming from the slot on it which is supposed to be used so you can see there is a seal fitted, after not being able to find one easily online i made one with some flat rubber i had and i don't know if its just placebo or not but it feels like it pulls much harder which makes sense if there was a boost leak before. next step is probably get some new heat shield bolts so it doesn't matter if i ruin the old ones and then once i have sorted this whistling i'm gonna sell my bits from my last car which should net a few hundred quid and then look at versatune :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]