Page 3 of 8 [ 109 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Post subject: Re: Cheerio after brief ownership
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:29 pm 
MPSOC Member

Vehicle: MPS6
Here's the link to my car if you fancy bidding for it Justin. Great nick apart from the engine.
Current bid at £500 only :thumbs: .

http://www.copart.co.uk/c2/homeSearch.html?_eventId=getLot&execution=e3s1&lotId=14627422&returnPage=SEARCH_RESULTS

Kev, only had 62k on the clock with full Mazda history for every little part....was a pampered car!!

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:38 pm 
MPSOC Member

Vehicle: other
Bhp: 250
lbf·ft: 0
Colour: Black Mica
yea thought so, my mate came telling me about a cheep 6 on copart from scotland. So basicly it needs a new engine as he is interested in bidding on it.

now driving a German whip

Mk5 r32

ita all about the noise.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:43 pm 
MPSOC Member

Just to keep you guys in the loop, I've had an email from my tuner, Alex at Stratified, regarding the 6 MPS engine failures. Hope this helps some of you in the future.
He's also kindly offered to refund my tuning fees, which was kind as he didn't have to do that at all.

I'd take from this that if anyone is gonna remap the MPS, then you can't go far wrong by getting the services of Alex onboard for peace of mind with his safety on the vvt side of things.

Quote:
Hi Phil and I am very sorry to hear about these misfortunes. Did the VVT actuator give in right at the same time as the conrod let go?

Unfortunately there are many stories with the MPS cars blowing up. This is especially true of the MPS6 since it generates a higher load on the engine being AWD and heavier - even ones that are completely stock. I have myself done in-depth analysis of what goes on with these cars and it appears that detonation kills the engines slowly, the rods bend, and eventually give up. Mazda has calibrated these cars very aggressively in terms of VVT from the factory (which causes a high dynamic compression ratio) and on the highway it is common for the car to stumble when you get on the throttle after a longer cruise. Have you noticed this with yours? Also a tell-tale sign of the engine starting to let go are vibrations in the clutch pedal. Did you experience these?

The root cause is aggressive VVT timing and very hot combustion. It causes some severe detonation that over time weakens the conrods and they let go. This is of course unless something else happened at the shop. Starting with 2010, the VVT timing was revamped from the factory and new pistons fitted to the DISI engine and the cars no longer blow up.

On my own MPS3 I had the same issues and have resolved them with a reduction in VVT timing - and since then I have not had the car stumble once. All the MPS cars I tune I make these changes to keep them safe but it is sometimes too late as the damage is done over time.

There are many resources on blown speeds here: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f10/mazdaspeed-2-3l-disi-turbo-blown-engine-resource-thread-6113/

I can refund you the price for the tune to help things out a little.

Thank you,

Alex

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:44 pm 
MPSOC Member

Gavin wrote:
yea thought so, my mate came telling me about a cheep 6 on copart from scotland. So basicly it needs a new engine as he is interested in bidding on it.

I even left the decat downpipe fitted (freshly heatwrapped).

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:47 pm 
Non Member

Bhp: 115
I'm going to Alex once my downpipe is installed so whilst I really feel your pain mate I am thankful you posted that to read directly from Alex as it puts my mind at ease a little. I didn't know the mk2 had different internals.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:56 pm 
Senior

Bhp: 354
lbf·ft: 370
Phil gutted for you mate!!! mind posting your VVT timings table here?

Self-tuned with Image| Lenso D1R & Avon ZZ3 | CS TMIC | DO STG1 Meth Inj | HTP TIP | Forge BPV V2 | M2 Catless DP | ReWorked K04 hybrid | 3Bar Map sensor |MSCAI as SRI | NGK LTR7IX | CBE | KMD V2.1 HPFP internals | FCM delete | disabled VTCS | JBR SSP STG2 | JBR Spherical knob | JBR EGR delete | SURE TorqR6 RMM | SURE Element Shield | TurbineTech Diff mount | 6000K HID Fogs&White LEDs | Boost gauge | DashHawkV2.51 | sport AERO rear bumper | C-MOD grill | MTEC slotted rotors | EBC Yellowstuff | Throttle coolant bypass | STI 06 lip |

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:58 pm 
RM BIK

Bhp: 430
lbf·ft: 395
Colour: Titanium Grey Metallic
Phil MC wrote:
Just to keep you guys in the loop, I've had an email from my tuner, Alex at Stratified, regarding the 6 MPS engine failures. Hope this helps some of you in the future.
He's also kindly offered to refund my tuning fees, which was kind as he didn't have to do that at all.

I'd take from this that if anyone is going to remap the MPS, then you can't go far wrong by getting the services of Alex onboard for peace of mind with his safety on the vvt side of things.

Quote:
Hi Phil and I am very sorry to hear about these misfortunes. Did the VVT actuator give in right at the same time as the conrod let go?

Unfortunately there are many stories with the MPS cars blowing up. This is especially true of the MPS6 since it generates a higher load on the engine being AWD and heavier - even ones that are completely stock. I have myself done in-depth analysis of what goes on with these cars and it appears that detonation kills the engines slowly, the rods bend, and eventually give up. Mazda has calibrated these cars very aggressively in terms of VVT from the factory (which causes a high dynamic compression ratio) and on the highway it is common for the car to stumble when you get on the throttle after a longer cruise. Have you noticed this with yours? Also a tell-tale sign of the engine starting to let go are vibrations in the clutch pedal. Did you experience these?

Going off this then, what should be replace to prevent this? Any links anyone? And more importantly, how much we talking?

The root cause is aggressive VVT timing and very hot combustion. It causes some severe detonation that over time weakens the conrods and they let go. This is of course unless something else happened at the shop. Starting with 2010, the VVT timing was revamped from the factory and new pistons fitted to the DISI engine and the cars no longer blow up.

On my own MPS3 I had the same issues and have resolved them with a reduction in VVT timing - and since then I have not had the car stumble once. All the MPS cars I tune I make these changes to keep them safe but it is sometimes too late as the damage is done over time.

There are many resources on blown speeds here: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f10/mazdaspeed-2-3l-disi-turbo-blown-engine-resource-thread-6113/

I can refund you the price for the tune to help things out a little.

Thank you,

Alex

100% Meth / Fully forged / ACT 6 Puc & lightweight flywheel / monlar rods / wiseco pistons / arp studs / Versatune / corksport FMIC / Garrett GTX3076 / Brock Injector seals / Autotechs / Dreadnought & Juggernaut / GT RARB / Speedline front lower struts / Speedline lateral struts / corksport front braces / corksport rear upper braces / CS side braces /H&R springs / Bilstein B8's / CS BBK / Rear EBC Yellowstuff / JBR 5mm spacers / JBR OCC / Forge V2 / AWR 80a REM / 3" DP / Jetex / 3.25" Sure intake / Sure BSD / SURE TIG / Butterfly delete / EGR blockoff / Hel brake lines / Xcarlink / kendo SSP & Bushes / Step colder NGK 0.6mm gap / Fog and Driving light HID's / MKii alloys
Build thread http://tinyurl.com/otzp6qw
Helpful threads http://tinyurl.com/kjykgbd
http://www.ThroughTheLensMedia.co.uk
AVOID TOTAL MPS http://www.mpsowners.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=20073

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:11 pm 
Global Moderator

Bhp: 549
lbf·ft: 449
Colour: Titanium Grey Metallic
levl wrote:
Phil gutted for you mate!!! mind posting your VVT timings table here?

You will notice the reduced VVT in the lower rpm..... This was my first VVT table on stock K04 turbo and usual bolt on mods. The only thing that differs to Phils is the columns in the higher RPM's but his were lower. Even with my setup now I run the same lower RPM VVT but more aggressive up top.

At idle you will be at the top of this table where VVT advance would be 0.

Very good of Alex to offer a refund.... top guy!

2010 MPS3 Mk2 Forged / Sleeved Engine, CS Cams and Crower Valve Springs, BNR S4 Turbo, HTP 3.5" Intake, HPFP Internals, 2050psi Fuel Rail Relief Valve, JMF Intake Manifold, DNP Exhaust Manifold, Dual OCC Setup, Cobb Turbo Back Exhaust, Airtec FMIC, Port Methanol Injection ..... Tuning in progress with a goal of 480-500bhp :-)

Last edited by DJJUT on Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:25 pm 
MPSOC Member

Cheers for that Justin, not sure I'd have been able to post that myself, LOL.
Yeh, Alex has been great from the start, and I'd highly recommend his services :thumbs: .

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:39 pm 
Non Member

Vehicle: MPS3 mkI aero
Excuse my ignorance, whos alex?

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:53 pm 
MPSOC Member

Alex Gutica is the owner of a company called Stratified Automotive. He's a very well thought of Mazda tuner/mapper here in Europe, Oz and USA. He's based in British Columbia, Canada and gives a brilliant remote custom mapping service for the MPS via Versatuner.

http://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=72

Here's a quick pic of the exit hole from where bits of conrod, block & sump exploded from, nearly taking out my mechanic and his apprentice in the process :blush: .

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:54 pm 
MPSOC Member

Vehicle: MPS3 mkI aero
Bhp: 340
Gutted for you mate, never nice to hear things like this :(

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:09 pm 
MPSOC Member

its done all that damage at idle, that amazing. i hope mines ok.

Mk5 r32

ita all about the noise.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:44 pm 
MPSOC Member

oh just curious how its ended up on copart, did you sell it to them?

Mk5 r32

ita all about the noise.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:42 am 
Non Member

Bhp: 0
:censored: me mate, that is some luck. Really feel for you fella - I need to bookmark this thread - am getting 2nd cat removed the the map tweeked so will be showing him this. Can't believe it ended so violently and at idle after all the data logging looked good. Shabby ending. :cry:

Page 3 of 8 [ 109 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next