Post subject: Re: Cheerio after brief ownership
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:57 am 

Vehicle: MPS6
Bhp: 367
lbf·ft: 417
Colour: Black Mica
Phil MC wrote:
And you'd only just found your sibbling 6MPS as well!! :wink:

Managed to get something for the car as it was, and scraped together a few quid to get myself some wheels to keep me going. Need to save pennies for a good while now to get back to where I was, but this Altea diesel gets me around 60mpg average to work and back, so a good starting point I suppose?

Oh well, back to seatcupra.net it is then :eek: .

Is it a 1.9 TDi? 'Cos I've an Altea Diesel 1.6 TDi 105 BHP and I can assure you that it's impossible to get more than 40 MPG. It's just absurd... freaking ECO &%$&%! Grrrr.

Anyway I had to say that 1.9 TDi was a much better car.

Cheers.

Mazda 6 MPS / GFB BPV / RX-8 8 x 18" Wheels / Bilstein B8 & Eibach Pro-Kit / Stainless Steel Brake Lines / Autoexe Front Strut Bar / SU Rear Brace Bar / SURE Anchors, CounterShift / Ralco RZ STS stage 2 / SURE Dreadnaught & Torq R6 70a / GrimmSpeed EBCS (Interrupt) / 621 g. AGS Shift Knob / CorkSport TMIC / CorkSport Power Series 3" Intake / EBC RedStuff / Disabled EGR / AutoTech HPFP internals / CorkSport catted downpipe / NGK 1 step colder / BNR stage 3 v2

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:22 am 
Senior

Vehicle: MX5 mkI
Bhp: 0
lbf·ft: 0
really sorry to hear about this mate, hope things sort themselves out ok.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:38 am 
MPSOC Member

Azzaboy wrote:
:censored: me mate, that is some luck. Really feel for you fella - I need to bookmark this thread - am getting 2nd cat removed the the map tweeked so will be showing him this. Can't believe it ended so violently and at idle after all the data logging looked good. Shabby ending. :cry:

You & me both Al. Did you click on the link to the thread on the U.S. Mazdaspeed forum to see how many cars have actually had this problem? Quite scary. Would be seriously thinking of getting a forged rebuild if I still had a working 6 MPS :wink: .

I'm just gonna save & get another scoobie for a 3rd car, then just use it as a pure weekend toy I think.

Last edited by Phil MC on Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:49 am 
RM BIK

Vehicle: other
Bhp: 430
lbf·ft: 395
Colour: Titanium Grey Metallic
How much we talking for a forged rebuild?

100% Meth / Fully forged / ACT 6 Puc & lightweight flywheel / monlar rods / wiseco pistons / arp studs / Versatune / corksport FMIC / Garrett GTX3076 / Brock Injector seals / Autotechs / Dreadnought & Juggernaut / GT RARB / Speedline front lower struts / Speedline lateral struts / corksport front braces / corksport rear upper braces / CS side braces /H&R springs / Bilstein B8's / CS BBK / Rear EBC Yellowstuff / JBR 5mm spacers / JBR OCC / Forge V2 / AWR 80a REM / 3" DP / Jetex / 3.25" Sure intake / Sure BSD / SURE TIG / Butterfly delete / EGR blockoff / Hel brake lines / Xcarlink / kendo SSP & Bushes / Step colder NGK 0.6mm gap / Fog and Driving light HID's / MKii alloys
Build thread http://tinyurl.com/otzp6qw
Helpful threads http://tinyurl.com/kjykgbd
http://www.ThroughTheLensMedia.co.uk
AVOID TOTAL MPS http://www.mpsowners.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=20073

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:55 am 
MPSOC Member

keridil wrote:
Phil MC wrote:
And you'd only just found your sibbling 6MPS as well!! :wink:

Managed to get something for the car as it was, and scraped together a few quid to get myself some wheels to keep me going. Need to save pennies for a good while now to get back to where I was, but this Altea diesel gets me around 60mpg average to work and back, so a good starting point I suppose?

Oh well, back to seatcupra.net it is then :eek: .

Is it a 1.9 TDi? 'Cos I've an Altea Diesel 1.6 TDi 105 BHP and I can assure you that it's impossible to get more than 40 MPG. It's just absurd... freaking ECO &%$&%! Grrrr.

Anyway I had to say that 1.9 TDi was a much better car.

Cheers.

I actually get an average of 70mpg coming into work, and about 55mpg or so on the way home.
Not sure if it's a case of going downhill to and uphill from work, or if I'm taking my time more on the way in and speeding up to get away at the end of shift :thumbs: .

The 1.9 105bhp with the chip makes it very frugal indeed, cruise control also helps.

LOL, IMO ECO=SH*T!!!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:57 am 
MPSOC Member

kendo.1985 wrote:
How much we talking for a forged rebuild?

See Here:

http://www.mpsowners.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=150&t=7134

Worth saving up for, then stick a nice GT30 on it :thumbs: .

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:21 am 
MPSOC Member

Bhp: 310
lbf·ft: 325
Colour: Black Mica
Really sorry to hear about this Phil,this just makes me wonder whether to get rid as im about to start using the car daily or get a total rebuild and harden her up,very sorry mate, but it sounds like you have taken it on the chin and kept your head up,good for you mate. :thumbs:

Asuka Racing alloys 225/40/18 Kumho rubber.2.5in Power Flo cat back,BBR Hybrid Turbo,BBR Downpipe (200 cell cat) 3 port boost solenoid Upgrade TMIC, HPFP, Simota SRI & Tip, Forge re-circ dv. colder plugs. Front and Rear DBA slotted discs braided lines & Hawk Pads.H&R springs & B8 Bilstein shocks.Rolled archs, debadged.Corksport front strut brace.CP.E rear engine mount Barone stage 2 short shift plate & bushings & heavy shift knob.LED tinted rear light cluster.Oil temp Boost & oil pressure guages Tinted windows Carbon Fibre badges and interior

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:18 am 
Non Member

Phil MC wrote:
Just to keep you guys in the loop, I've had an email from my tuner, Alex at Stratified, regarding the 6 MPS engine failures. Hope this helps some of you in the future.
He's also kindly offered to refund my tuning fees, which was kind as he didn't have to do that at all.

I'd take from this that if anyone is going to remap the MPS, then you can't go far wrong by getting the services of Alex onboard for peace of mind with his safety on the vvt side of things.

Quote:
Hi Phil and I am very sorry to hear about these misfortunes. Did the VVT actuator give in right at the same time as the conrod let go?

Unfortunately there are many stories with the MPS cars blowing up. This is especially true of the MPS6 since it generates a higher load on the engine being AWD and heavier - even ones that are completely stock. I have myself done in-depth analysis of what goes on with these cars and it appears that detonation kills the engines slowly, the rods bend, and eventually give up. Mazda has calibrated these cars very aggressively in terms of VVT from the factory (which causes a high dynamic compression ratio) and on the highway it is common for the car to stumble when you get on the throttle after a longer cruise. Have you noticed this with yours? Also a tell-tale sign of the engine starting to let go are vibrations in the clutch pedal. Did you experience these?

The root cause is aggressive VVT timing and very hot combustion. It causes some severe detonation that over time weakens the conrods and they let go. This is of course unless something else happened at the shop. Starting with 2010, the VVT timing was revamped from the factory and new pistons fitted to the DISI engine and the cars no longer blow up.

On my own MPS3 I had the same issues and have resolved them with a reduction in VVT timing - and since then I have not had the car stumble once. All the MPS cars I tune I make these changes to keep them safe but it is sometimes too late as the damage is done over time.

There are many resources on blown speeds here: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f10/mazdaspeed-2-3l-disi-turbo-blown-engine-resource-thread-6113/

I can refund you the price for the tune to help things out a little.

Thank you,

Alex

This clears up the logic of how valve timing causes issues, thanks.

Not enough cam overlap & too much Dynamic CR, leading to high combustion temps thus pre-det knock. Rods don't like that much.

Running E90 or higher octane fuel would help, but adds to running costs.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:25 am 
Non Member

Phil MC wrote:
Azzaboy wrote:
:censored: me mate, that is some luck. Really feel for you fella - I need to bookmark this thread - am getting 2nd cat removed the the map tweeked so will be showing him this. Can't believe it ended so violently and at idle after all the data logging looked good. Shabby ending. :cry:

You & me both Al. Did you click on the link to the thread on the U.S. Mazdaspeed forum to see how many cars have actually had this problem? Quite scary. Would be seriously thinking of getting a forged rebuild if I still had a working 6 MPS :wink: .

I'm just going to save & get another scoobie for a 3rd car, then just use it as a pure weekend toy I think.

Yeah looks like I'm driving a ticking bomb. : eek2 : On the other hand, only 23 cars listed - only 1 Speed6, I know it shouldn't happen at all but I'm trying to put the numbers into perspective and KEEP CALM.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:34 am 
Senior

Bhp: 354
lbf·ft: 370
Azzaboy wrote:
Yeah looks like I'm driving a ticking bomb. : eek2 : On the other hand, only 23 cars listed - only 1 Speed6, I know it shouldn't happen at all but I'm trying to put the numbers into perspective and KEEP CALM.

I was actually in panic couple of years ago too :D

read it all:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2727

Self-tuned with Image| Lenso D1R & Avon ZZ3 | CS TMIC | DO STG1 Meth Inj | HTP TIP | Forge BPV V2 | M2 Catless DP | ReWorked K04 hybrid | 3Bar Map sensor |MSCAI as SRI | NGK LTR7IX | CBE | KMD V2.1 HPFP internals | FCM delete | disabled VTCS | JBR SSP STG2 | JBR Spherical knob | JBR EGR delete | SURE TorqR6 RMM | SURE Element Shield | TurbineTech Diff mount | 6000K HID Fogs&White LEDs | Boost gauge | DashHawkV2.51 | sport AERO rear bumper | C-MOD grill | MTEC slotted rotors | EBC Yellowstuff | Throttle coolant bypass | STI 06 lip |

Last edited by levl on Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:36 am 
RM BIK

Same as azzaboy
Though it's a fantastic car so may fork out the £2200 ish to have a rebuild as I don't want to change cars, I'd like to keep this for a good 3-5 years.

100% Meth / Fully forged / ACT 6 Puc & lightweight flywheel / monlar rods / wiseco pistons / arp studs / Versatune / corksport FMIC / Garrett GTX3076 / Brock Injector seals / Autotechs / Dreadnought & Juggernaut / GT RARB / Speedline front lower struts / Speedline lateral struts / corksport front braces / corksport rear upper braces / CS side braces /H&R springs / Bilstein B8's / CS BBK / Rear EBC Yellowstuff / JBR 5mm spacers / JBR OCC / Forge V2 / AWR 80a REM / 3" DP / Jetex / 3.25" Sure intake / Sure BSD / SURE TIG / Butterfly delete / EGR blockoff / Hel brake lines / Xcarlink / kendo SSP & Bushes / Step colder NGK 0.6mm gap / Fog and Driving light HID's / MKii alloys

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:54 pm 

Vehicle: MPS3 mkI aero
I'd like to add my condolences too Phil...absolute nightmare

I blew an engine on my old Almera GTI a few years back on the motorway but then that was a 97 reg and not exactly a pristine example...unbeknown to me there were flames under my car as I sat on the hard shoulder and a geyser in a white van pulled up in front and told me to get out of the car...he'd already called the fire brigade and two rigs turned up together with the break down truck I'd called...Was like the end scene from a Die Hard film... :lol:

That said it's a bit of a sobering thought that these 'modern' and 'reliable' cars we drive can come to such a catastrophic end...and more worrying that standard examples can go the same way as lightly or more heavily modded ones.

I was very perturbed to read from the fella that did your map that the things to look out for were 'the car stumbling on the MWay when you get on the throttle' as I swear that's what my MK1 did on the way home yesterday. I was in 6th and just put my foot down and WTF?...the car seemed to pick itself up and jerk sideways a bit...

Now I have no mods whatsoever except for Versatune high load tune...so the question is do I revert back to the car's standard tune for safety's sake?

Taking the car to Mazda next week for one of these free health checks but I'm going to insist they take a look at the rods etc and see if they can tell if there is a problem. Don't know whether to take versatune off before taking it there as they may cause a prob if they whack in their OBII cable for checking any glitches.

The car seems a bit sluggish at the mo too and the steering is definitely more 'loose' ...I figured that might be me needing new tyres as remember having the same feeling last year before I bought new rubber...at least I hope it's that and not more indications of rods about to snap.

Does anybody have a rough idea how much it would cost for having new forged rods to replace originals?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:56 pm 
Non Member

kendo.1985 wrote:
Same as azzaboy
Though it's a fantastic car so may fork out the £2200 ish to have a rebuild as I don't want to change cars, I'd like to keep this for a good 3-5 years.

It would be cheaper to change the VVT parameters in software to include more timing retard for more overlap.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:13 pm 
RM BIK

dolf77 wrote:

Does anybody have a rough idea how much it would cost for having new forged rods to replace originals?

Get the credit card out!!!!

viewtopic.php?f=150&t=7134

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:14 pm 
MPSOC Member

Dolf77 - I would start by reverting to OEM map and taking it from there. The stumbling could be other things including the O2 sensor. Mind you that generates serious stumbling, in my experience. I think you would need to replace all the innards not just the con rods. They break because they are the weakest link.

Page 4 of 8 [ 109 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next