Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: NEW MEMBER MPS OWNER EGR VALVE FAILURE
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:25 pm 
Non Member

Bhp: 0
lbf·ft: 0
Hi all,

My name is Rob and I own a 2009 Mazda 3 MPS Aero phase 1 which is standard. I fell in love with the MPS when I got to go around Thruxton race track. For a warm up I was taken out in a standard MPS and was blown away on the handling, it's grip, power and mature stylish race look. I knew I just had to own one, one day.

It saddens me to say my MPS has developed an annoying problem regarding the EGR valve! I was driving back home whilst going up a hill I put my foot down to over take a car, at that point the car violently cut out at 3 & half 4 thousand rpm killing all power and once I let off the power, and put my foot down again in the higher revs the power was back! it has been into different garages, I have had EGR valves swapped over (which I can't believe it is coincidence both EGR units failed) I have had it cleaned the car has also recently had one of the big services, new oil, plugs, filters etc.

I feel I am left with two options:

1. Buy a new EGR valve at £300+ (not including labour costs)

2. Blank off the EGR and have it remapped?

I personally prefer option two but have no idea if this will work?? Can anyone help or advise where they have had a similar situation/dilemma they have experienced and what they did to fix an EGR failure??

Look forward to learning all about it, and hearing any possible remedies.

Thanks
Rob

Post subject: Re: NEW MEMBER MPS OWNER EGR VALVE FAILURE
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:32 pm 
RM BIK

Vehicle: other
Bhp: 430
lbf·ft: 395
Colour: Titanium Grey Metallic
Blanking the egr doesn’t require a remap.

100% Meth / Fully forged / ACT 6 Puc & lightweight flywheel / monlar rods / wiseco pistons / arp studs / Versatune / corksport FMIC / Garrett GTX3076 / Brock Injector seals / Autotechs / Dreadnought & Juggernaut / GT RARB / Speedline front lower struts / Speedline lateral struts / corksport front braces / corksport rear upper braces / CS side braces /H&R springs / Bilstein B8's / CS BBK / Rear EBC Yellowstuff / JBR 5mm spacers / JBR OCC / Forge V2 / AWR 80a REM / 3" DP / Jetex / 3.25" Sure intake / Sure BSD / SURE TIG / Butterfly delete / EGR blockoff / Hel brake lines / Xcarlink / kendo SSP & Bushes / Step colder NGK 0.6mm gap / Fog and Driving light HID's / MKii alloys
Build thread http://tinyurl.com/otzp6qw
Helpful threads http://tinyurl.com/kjykgbd
http://www.ThroughTheLensMedia.co.uk
AVOID TOTAL MPS http://www.mpsowners.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=20073

Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:17 pm 
Global Moderator

Vehicle: MPS6
Bhp: 549
lbf·ft: 449
What makes you thing it is an EGR issue? An EGR problem won't cause the harsh cut you mentioned...... this sounds like a fuel cut that the ECU would administer if a boost or engine load safety limit had been exceeded.

Have you checked for any engine management codes at all? The fuel cut code P0234 will not illuminate on the dashboard. Is your car completely standard?

2010 MPS3 Mk2 Forged / Sleeved Engine, CS Cams and Crower Valve Springs, BNR S4 Turbo, HTP 3.5" Intake, HPFP Internals, 2050psi Fuel Rail Relief Valve, JMF Intake Manifold, DNP Exhaust Manifold, Dual OCC Setup, Cobb Turbo Back Exhaust, Airtec FMIC, Port Methanol Injection ..... Tuning in progress with a goal of 480-500bhp :-)

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:47 pm 
Non Member

Thank you for the replies, the engine fault code coming up is saying EGR. I've had all the filters replaced, new spark plugs, fuel flush?

Yes the car is completely standard.

Oh ok, if the fuel code doesn't illuminate the code will still be visible once a device is plugged in? If that's the case both garages i've used could not see a fuel cut code?

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:16 pm 
Global Moderator

Okay well that's interesting. I've never heard of a car cutting out because of an EGR. I run with it blanked off and no cut is evident.

Why not try taking the EGR valve off along with the pipe that connects to it at one end and the intake mani at the other and give them a clean with oven cleaner first?

I can give you a link of a how to if needed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2010 MPS3 Mk2 Forged / Sleeved Engine, CS Cams and Crower Valve Springs, BNR S4 Turbo, HTP 3.5" Intake, HPFP Internals, 2050psi Fuel Rail Relief Valve, JMF Intake Manifold, DNP Exhaust Manifold, Dual OCC Setup, Cobb Turbo Back Exhaust, Airtec FMIC, Port Methanol Injection ..... Tuning in progress with a goal of 480-500bhp :-)

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:45 am 
Non Member

Hi

Yeah it is very weird, the mechanic said it is possibly due to the valve in the EGR not fully opening causing the engine to cut out.

I do recall one mechanic trying it without the EGR and blanking it off and still the issue carried on whilst no EGR present.

Yes please if you could send a link that would be brilliant!

How easy would it be to identify the fuel code you mentioned? Is it a code that can be easily missed?

Thanks

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:50 pm 
MPSOC Member

Vehicle: MPS3 mkI aero
Bhp: 256
lbf·ft: 280
Colour: True Red Solid
Welcome to the club, where about are you based as maybe a local member to you could take a look for you

Now Sold...Mk1 3 MPS Aero Facelift;-Corksport Stage 2 SRI+TIP//Forge BPV V2//Custom 2nd Cat & Resonator Delete//Cp-e REM 60a//SF Ssp//Kinugawa Banjo Bolt//Rear Tints//6k H-Lights//L.E.D.S//Shell Helix Ultra 5W 40//K&N Oil Filter//Goodyear Eagle f1 asymmetric 3's//

*Gone but not forgotten; moist silver mazda 6 mps*

**Winners only do what losers dont**

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:25 pm 
Global Moderator

Rob C wrote:
Hi

Yeah it is very weird, the mechanic said it is possibly due to the valve in the EGR not fully opening causing the engine to cut out.

I do recall one mechanic trying it without the EGR and blanking it off and still the issue carried on whilst no EGR present.

Yes please if you could send a link that would be brilliant!

How easy would it be to identify the fuel code you mentioned? Is it a code that can be easily missed?

Thanks

Here is the how to for the EGR cleaning....

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f ... 3-a-50596/

The code should appear if read with a code reader. The fact that the mechanic blanked it off and the issue persisted along with all the MPS owners that have also blanked off or removed the EGR and don't have issues should eliminate the EGR as the cause in my opinion.

Give it all a clean up as that will at least allow you to get the EGR code cleared and then go from there :thumbs:

Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:28 am 
Non Member

If i were to blank of the EGR, like yourself DJJUT, you should be able to delete the code?

Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:55 am 
RM BIK

Vehicle: other
Bhp: 430
lbf·ft: 395
He sure can. Via vt or Cobb..

100% Meth / Fully forged / ACT 6 Puc & lightweight flywheel / monlar rods / wiseco pistons / arp studs / Versatune / corksport FMIC / Garrett GTX3076 / Brock Injector seals / Autotechs / Dreadnought & Juggernaut / GT RARB / Speedline front lower struts / Speedline lateral struts / corksport front braces / corksport rear upper braces / CS side braces /H&R springs / Bilstein B8's / CS BBK / Rear EBC Yellowstuff / JBR 5mm spacers / JBR OCC / Forge V2 / AWR 80a REM / 3" DP / Jetex / 3.25" Sure intake / Sure BSD / SURE TIG / Butterfly delete / EGR blockoff / Hel brake lines / Xcarlink / kendo SSP & Bushes / Step colder NGK 0.6mm gap / Fog and Driving light HID's / MKii alloys
Build thread http://tinyurl.com/otzp6qw
Helpful threads http://tinyurl.com/kjykgbd
http://www.ThroughTheLensMedia.co.uk
AVOID TOTAL MPS http://www.mpsowners.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=20073

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:04 am 

Vehicle: MPS3 mkII
Bhp: 300
lbf·ft: 350
Colour: Crystal White Pearl
Did this ever get rectified?

Cobra exhaust