Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: MPSOC new members
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:18 am 
Non Member

Vehicle: MPS3 mkII
Bhp: 900
lbf·ft: 900
Colour: Velocity Red Metallic
Congratulations! You’ve just purchased a new or used mazda mps and you have found the mpsoc a large modding community. :thumbs:
You’re ready to dive headfirst into the world of staying up late, being dirty, and spending each pay day looking for mods to enhance your car until every woman on the street can’t bear not to look at you’re incredible symbol representing the peak of awesomeness. :horns:
But before you get into it, sensible people will try to talk you out of it, we call these “non-car-people”. :ppp: But even they forget to tell you some things. Things like…

5. The Cost

You might be wondering why this list is being kicked off with something everybody tells you before getting on the one way bus known as the Mod scene. But you’re blissfully unaware of their remarks and forewarning as you hang your head out the window and daydream with dreamy eyes as the bus takes you farther in (Remember this is a one way trip). Everyone knows that modifications cost money, that’s not the argument. What never gets talked about is how much the unexpected costs pile up and then promptly punch you in the valves. For example, you purchase a nice shiny new lowering kit with your car. You've thought it all out; it’s a full kit, not just springs. You think highly of your move, you get it installed, and then promptly cruise the forums and scour threads for potential opportunities to brag about your new ride height. Disaster strikes, you find out you need additional components to maintain suspension geometry, “it’s not so bad” you think, still feeling proud. You find the part, scroll down for the price. It’s £300. This is the exact moment when you feel like you've been punched in the balls. But it’s not just these unforeseen add-on that hit your wallet and then balls. It’s also the unexpected randomness of car parts that can fail. After you've just dropped £800 on a new inter-cooler, you then suddenly see white smoke from your exhaust. (You might want to head to the doctor at this point because the pain is making you vomit. :cry:

4. The Forums

Car Forums are the best thing in the world, and the worst thing in the world. They can save you hundreds, or direct you down a path that cost’s you hundreds for all the wrong reasons. If you need help with a DIY mod or a strange noise you’re hearing, forums are like your own personal team of Avengers that will always be ready to help you. Or they’re just assholes. Actually, they’re just assholes. Advice you gain from forums is like McDonald’s cheeseburgers, sometimes they’re good, sometimes they’re bad, but in the end, they will always eventually destroy you. Sometimes it’s swift, sometimes it’s delayed. But it will always ruin you. Look, you know that lowering your car 4 inches is a bad idea, or getting 1 million watt blue headlights is stupid, but forums switch this around. Something interesting happens when you ask for advice on forums. What seems like a stupid idea soon becomes a no brain er once 15 anonymous dudes are all telling you how great it will look, but they all suddenly silence themselves once you post again a week later after you've ripped your front bumper off via a speed bump.It will have been your stupidity. Then you encounter the forum equivalent of Emperor Nero, and there are hundreds of them. I once posted a simple question about my Tiptronic Transmission in my Audi TT on the TT forums. I had 10 people insult my car for not having a manual with such ferocity that it was like I had personally put old cheese in each and every one of their air vents, which I did in fact do at the next car meet but still.

A forum is a forum but this particular forum the MPSOC is a breath of fresh air if you have a no brain-er you will be told its a no brain-er but you wont be shouted down and if you take your time to post up in advance about your mods or plans then members like myself will post guides and threads to help and warn about the modifications cost implications and adverse effects on the car.We will also post the good points on the mod and group buys and places for fitting etc.At times local members near to you can also offer help with fitting etc for the meer cost of a SWALR.

3. The Failure

So you’ve gotten help with forums. You have a DIY all lined up, your toolbox is open and organized, your car is on jack stands, and you have some music playing or Netflix providing background noise like a friend who enjoys looking at your butt crack and hearing you invent new swear words. Everything’s going smoothly and then something happens. Maybe, something is stuck, or doesn’t fit right or worse yet, something’s completely missing. What should have been a two hour job turns into a weekend of not sleeping, being dirty, and having your car rip your knuckles up like it’s personally trying to harm you. This is inevitable, it will happen. You say it won’t because you have the most detailed DIY ever written tabbed on your laptop and you’re a “PETROLHEAD”, but it will happen. It happens on older cars mostly, but new cars aren't immune. Every car is different, and every car has a different life. And yes you will fail.

2. The Naysayers

So you've finally done it, you've completed a major mod start to finish, and you did it all yourself. You’re so proud of yourself, your car is noticeably better in some way and you cruise your local streets feeling like you’re driving a full bore race-car. You notice double takes even when the people in question are looking at the bus about to pick them up, but to you, everyone in the world can tell you’re running a new set of anti-roll bars. At every chance you try your hardest to tell people of your new found neutral handling through corners. Then you encounter him, he’s always there, just waiting. He’s the naysayer, or the “you’ll be sorry” guy. No matter how proud you are, he’ll always tell you how much money you've just wasted. The naysayer operates on such a high plane of modding that any mod that doesn't cost at least 5 grand and generates a minimum of 30 BHP is a worthless endeavor, a futile effort. “How cute, you've installed a short ram air intake, you DO know that does nothing for performance right, in fact, it DEDUCTS an average 20 horsepower. Good work bro.” They also exist as foreboding prophets as well, warning you with grave intent that adding paint to the tow hook will cause the rear frame to sag slowly over 4,000 years due to extra weight from the red paint on the tow hook.

1. The Addiction

It’s cold, you’re sore, you’re hands are covered in road dirt and oil, and you pause for a moment, leave the garage to step into the house and walk into the kitchen for a drink, holy shit, it’s 3 AM. But you can’t possibly stop now, you’re almost there, almost to the point of reassembly, you head back into the garage and don’t emerge until the paper hit’s your front door. Welcome to the world of modding. It’s an addiction. It’s an insatiable hunger for more. Soon the only thing you think about is potential mods, costs, pros and cons, and above all, how damn sweet it’s going to be. Being a member of the modding scene is 10 percent modding and 90 percent daydreaming. Don’t be surprised if you find yourself tossing and turning in bed at night thinking of the next route to take to with your project, and here’s the thing, it’s never finished; there’s always something to be done. There’s always something to be tweaked or tuned, and you know what? It’s worth it. So before anyone tells you no, remember that throughout all the dirt, pain, money and time, at the end of the workday, you have a lot of work to do in the garage. So get on it, and move on to the next thing. You've got work to do, and mods to be done.

Remember MPSOC membership is more then a club you will work this out at some point when you have two fellow members round your house at ten at night fixing your break calipers with you or on the phone because you cant get the fuel pump off you car.Their are guides meets and for sale threads and group buys and member only discounts at selected mps parts stockists etc etc all for £20 quid a year. :mpsoc:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post subject: Re: MPSOC new members
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:27 am 
Senior

Bhp: 256
lbf·ft: 280
What a good advert ,but you need to wait until pay day.PS4 first :D

Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:34 am 
Non Member

Bhp: 900
lbf·ft: 900
sternritter wrote:

Not an advert as im just a member like yourself but i can see the benefits of joining and with so many new people joining the mps platform membership pays for its self once you attend a meet or start modding.
This is a rather good club and :mpsoc: membership will help the club to bigger and better things in the future hopefully with its own club track days and meets.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:36 am 
Senior

Vehicle: MPS6
Bhp: 0
lbf·ft: 0
Colour: Titanium Grey Metallic
I couldn't agree more with this ^^^ I've not been a member long but already seeing the benefits. I feel welcome to post any issues or queries which I have done and have had answers too! The £20 pays for itself so quickly it is unreal, well worth it!

Great forum, good guys, it's a pleasure to be here!

BNR S3, HTP 3" intake, 200cell catted Downpipe, ETS TMIC, Autotech HPFP internals, Forge v2 Recirc, Remus CatBack Exhaust, Port/Polish Manifold and TIG, Throttle Body Coolant Bypass, SURE REM, Turbine Tech Front Diff Mount, CPE rear diff brace, Whiteline RARB, JBR SSP
Image Tuned By Justin
Up Next: Rust Removal! OCC, Handling of all kinds!:thumbs:

*A car is just Fast enough when you stand in front of it in the morning and are afraid to unlock it*

Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:58 am 
Senior

Vehicle: MPS3 mkI aero
Colour: Black Mica
Excellent write up bob! :thumbs:

I still say you've got to much time on your hands haha

Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:34 pm 
Senior

Bhp: 280
lbf·ft: 295
Colour: Titanium Grey Metallic
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on your hands mate but still - good writeup! :thumbs:

Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:05 pm 
MPSOC Member

Bobster wrote:
sternritter wrote:

Not an advert as im just a member like yourself but i can see the benefits of joining and with so many new people joining the mps platform membership pays for its self once you attend a meet or start modding.
This is a rather good club and :mpsoc: membership will help the club to bigger and better things in the future hopefully with its own club track days and meets.

Well said that man :thumbs: .

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:50 pm 

Vehicle: MPS3 mkI
Bhp: 350
Colour: Cosmic Blue Mica
Well it worked for me! I've never joined a forum before, and in fact this is my first post ever!
Since buying my mk1 3 mps 6 months ago I've been reading this forum religiously. The information on here is fantastic and easily worth the £20 membership.

2007 mk1 3 mps, versatuner, cruise control fitted, iPod connector, MPSOC sticker, htp 3.5", jbr 80a rem, tr8l and cx racing pipes, autotech hpfp, ATP catless long dp, forge v2, aem progressive meth kit, Mitsubishi td06 25g and justin tuned!

2001 E38 740i sport - sold
2000 mondeo st200 - racebits headers. & y pipe, st170 discs, mk3 calipers, k&n filter, HEL brake lines, erg delete, ngk plugs

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:45 pm 
Senior

Vehicle: MPS3 mkI aero
Colour: Black Mica
Biglegg wrote:
Well it worked for me! I've never joined a forum before, and in fact this is my first post ever!
Since buying my mk1 3 mps 6 months ago I've been reading this forum religiously. The information on here is fantastic and easily worth the £20 membership.

Introduce yourself in either the welcome lounge or the new members lounge :thumbs:

Oh and welcome

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:30 pm 
Non Member

Thanks for that read up, you reminded me of removing my first ever rear diff with my dad on our first ever MX5, back then, we were oblivious to power frame bolts that haven't moved in 13 years and were welded on with a blob of weld resembling a kittens tear, so I have bought my first ever turbo'ed Mazda 3 MPS, WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG my brain was saying as I was looking out of the dealership window at it, it's got a full Mazda service history (meaning the air filter, fuel filter and oil haven't been changed in a long time......) So, my first step (before 50 inch alloys and dropping it 300mm) are to do a service on my car, a service like no other! There will not be a single liquid left in that car that was original!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]