Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: New owner...
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:59 pm 
Non Member

Bhp: 0
lbf·ft: 0
Just purchased myself a 2010 mazda 3 mps in pearl white completely bog standard with only 31k on the clock and has never been fiddled with...i need some noise...what air filter and exhaust systems you chaps reccomending? Cheers

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: New owner...
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:06 pm 
MPSOC Member

Vehicle: MPS3 mkI
Colour: Black Mica
Welcome,

Most just get an exhaust fabricated up to suit their (noise) needs. 1st and 2nd cats can be removed but you will need an upgraded high pressure fuel pump (HPFP), and tuning solution (Versatuer or COBB Accessport) for removing the 1st Cat

For the intake side, have a look at Edge Motor Sport or JBR websites (both in the USA) for bits. I think all decent filters and Turbo Inlet Pipes (TIP) basically do the same thing, so your choice will be down to Price, brand loyalty, and you end power goal.

Unless your going to be upgrading your Turbo, then you'll need a 3" or 3.5" TIP, but someone else may correct me here.

Ali

Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:11 pm 
Non Member

Not looking for power gains at the mo moneys tight from buying the beast just want a nicer soundtrack...so if i was to only remove the 2nd cat it would still run sweet? Also with just one cat would it still pass emissions do you think?

Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:29 pm 
MPSOC Member

Vehicle: MPS3 mkI
Colour: Black Mica
2nd cat can be replaced with a de-cat for about £100 (fitting will be extra), Car should pass the emissions no probs with it removed.

Not sure if the mk2 will be much noisier without the 2nd cat though. I think you need to remove the 1st resonator to get any real increase in sound. It can be removed by an exhaust fab, for about £100.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:07 pm 
Non Member

May aswell just get a new system from 1st cat back then really, is the 1st cat on the downpipe?

Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:27 pm 
Global Moderator

Vehicle: MPS6
Bhp: 549
lbf·ft: 449
Colour: Titanium Grey Metallic
The 1st cat is indeed at the top section the downpipe.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2010 MPS3 Mk2 Forged / Sleeved Engine, CS Cams and Crower Valve Springs, BNR S4 Turbo, HTP 3.5" Intake, HPFP Internals, 2050psi Fuel Rail Relief Valve, JMF Intake Manifold, DNP Exhaust Manifold, Dual OCC Setup, Cobb Turbo Back Exhaust, Airtec FMIC, Port Methanol Injection ..... Tuning in progress with a goal of 480-500bhp :-)

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:27 am 
Senior

Vehicle: MPS2
Bhp: 115
lbf·ft: 106
Colour: Cosmic Blue Mica
Hi and Welcome to the forums.

I too used to have a white mk2, for noise the first mods i did was a Corksport Stage II intake and had the 2nd cat removed. It gave the exhaust a deeper tone but only really lower down in the rev range and i couldn't really hear it once above 3k rpm or above 40mph. In fact the intake made more noise :lol:

After that i went for a longlife custom catback system which sounded much nicer but not too loud to be ear bleeding, another excellent and very popular choice is the Jetex cat back system.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:47 pm 
Non Member

BanzaiMike wrote:

I too used to have a white mk2, for noise the first mods i did was a Corksport Stage II intake and had the 2nd cat removed. It gave the exhaust a deeper tone but only really lower down in the rev range and i couldn't really hear it once above 3k rpm or above 40mph. In fact the intake made more noise

After that i went for a longlife custom catback system which sounded much nicer but not too loud to be ear bleeding, another excellent and very popular choice is the Jetex cat back system.

Yooo cheers man did you go for a resinated or non res? Struggling to find parts in uk apart from total mps and every says hes a spoon!?

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:49 pm 
Senior

Vehicle: MPS2
Bhp: 115
lbf·ft: 106
Colour: Cosmic Blue Mica
scriv123 wrote:
BanzaiMike wrote:

I too used to have a white mk2, for noise the first mods i did was a Corksport Stage II intake and had the 2nd cat removed. It gave the exhaust a deeper tone but only really lower down in the rev range and i couldn't really hear it once above 3k rpm or above 40mph. In fact the intake made more noise

Yooo cheers man did you go for a resinated or non res? Struggling to find parts in uk apart from total mps and every says hes a spoon!?

Sorry only just seen this (not been on here for a few weeks). I had it resonated as it has the OEM backbox but custom 3" pipework from the DP back (DP was a J2 Racing pipe), would be way too loud if i went full de-res :lol:

Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:04 pm 
Non Member

I've still not made me mind up on what I'm doing lol have me eye on the k&n typhoon induction and I just can't decide on exhaust so I ain't botherd yet! Everything is so dear for these cars lol

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]